Post Date: 06/05/2019
Close Date: 06/19/2019
The City of Bend Finance Department is actively recruiting for one(1) Full-time Financial Accountant and one(1) Full-time Limited Duration Financial Accountant. These opportunities are Non-Represented, FLSA exempt (not overtime eligible) positions.
This position performs a range of professional accounting and financial reporting duties in connection with the City's financial accounting and reporting functions. Work includes high level financial reviews, reconciliations, research, analysis, management of complex accounting records, application of government accounting standards and preparation of financial reports.
To be considered for this position, applicants must have a complete application that includes all of the following items:
•The online application via NeoGov (access also available on City of Bend website under Human Resources/Job Openings)
•Attached formal Cover Letter (required)
•Attached formal Resume (required)
•Attached valid Credentials, Certifications and Licensing (if applicable)
Applicants must provide certification that they are a veteran or disabled veteran to receive veteran's preference. For more information click here.
Applications received by Wednesday, June 19, 2019 @ 12:00 p.m. (noon) PST will receive preference for initial review, but position shall be Open Until Filled.
The City of Bend is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion. At the City of Bend, we don't just accept differences; we value them. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and support the Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act (ADAAA) and the Oregon Pay Equity Act.
Functions, Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification. Shown are duties intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
Performs daily accounting tasks and processes a variety of accounting transactions such as cash management and bank reconciliation, debt payments, investments, leases and research and correction of transaction errors.
Answers inquiries and resolves problems and issues from employees, other agencies and the public.
Analyzes account activities and monitors the integrity of general ledger and subsidiary ledger entries; performs related reconciliations; reclassifies expenditures and/or revenues to correct discrepancies.
Applies generally accepted accounting principals to ensure fund accounting records and financial reports are in compliance with Government Accounting Standards and other accounting rules and regulations.
Prepares monthly financial and accounting reports for management.
Prepares grant billings and reports and ensures financial compliance with grant terms and State and Federal requirements. Advises other City departments regarding grant reporting and compliance.
Prepares year-end audit work papers and performs internal procedures needed to ensure the integrity and quality of financial accounting records.
Prepares or assists in the preparation of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR); Coordinates schedules with departments and external auditors; explains financial policies, procedures, and/or other relevant information to departments and external auditors.
Prepares a variety of special billings, assessments, reimbursements, and/or internal allocations in assigned area of responsibility, which may include: property and local improvement district assessments; interfund monthly billings associated with projects; allocating costs to internal departments; infrastructure cost reimbursements; and/or, performing other related activities.
Complies with safety requirements of the position and actively promotes safe work practices.
In an emergency event or an officially declared State of Emergency, responds as directed to ensure the restoration of essential public services, facilities and infrastructure.
Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications:
Knowledge and Skills:
· Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP);
· Principles, practices, and standards of governmental and fund accounting;
· Principles and practices of cash management;
· Account reconciliation methods;
· Financial and statistical analysis techniques;
· Auditing principles and practices;
· Research methods and techniques;
· Municipal budgeting principles;
· Account preparation, review, and control methods;
· Applicable Federal, State, and Local laws, rules, and regulations;
· Grant and/or contract management principles and practices.
· Verifying, reconciling, balancing, adjusting, and auditing accounts;
· Maintaining financial and accounting records;
· Preparing accounting statements and reports; including comprehensive accounting reports
· Analyzing financial data;
· Reviewing financial documents for completeness and accuracy;
· Reading, comprehending, and analyzing financial statements;
· Performing complex financial analysis;
· Applying accounting procedures and principles;
· Monitoring accounting control systems;
· Organizing and managing projects;
· Meeting schedules and timelines;
· Working independently;
· Solving problems;
· Using computers and applicable software applications;
· Interpreting and applying applicable Federal, State, and/or Local laws, rules, and regulations;
· Performing mathematical calculations and analysis;
· Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
Education, Experience, Certifications and Licenses Required:
Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business, Finance, or related field and at least three years of accounting or governmental accounting work experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.