Post Date: 05/04/2020
Close Date: 06/05/2020
Full-time / Exempt / Portland, Oregon / United States
Current unrestricted authorization to work for any U.S. employer is required
Starting salary, based on experience, is $46-55K
To Apply: Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, briefly addressing why you are interested in the opportunity and detailing what makes you the ideal candidate for the role.
Interviews will be done on a rolling basis until the role is filled; Early applicants will be given preference.
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
About Our Team
As the U.S. field office of Mercy Corps, Mercy Corps Northwest (MCNW) works to build more just, productive and resilient communities in the Pacific NW. Our programs support up to 2,100 small business owners each year; reduce prison re-entry rates for participants by 50%; improve services at more than 30 local nonprofits; and support under resourced communities with disaster preparedness knowledge.
At MCNW, we believe that everyone should have the opportunity to improve their life regardless of their background. By investing in those without ready access to resources, existing economic disparities will become more equitable, and motivated, hard-working individuals and families will have opportunities to break intergenerational cycles of poverty for good. For more information about Mercy Corps Northwest, visit www.mercycorpsnw.org
About Your Role
The Finance and Compliance Officer is responsible for all financial and operations functions in Oregon and Washington, including accounting, payments and banking, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance. The Finance and Compliance Officer works to ensure compliance with Mercy Corps internal policies and procedures as well as donor regulations and in support of the program team. They will provide timely reports and budget development support and assistance to the Executive Director, Deputy Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
Your Key Responsibilities
Operations – Financial
● Provide monthly standard accounting submissions to Mercy Corps Global, including general ledger files, account reconciliations, expenditures by fund/project, as well as other financial information in a timely and accurate manner.
● Provide monthly management reports to program leads, including expenditures by fund/project, and other financial information, in a timely and accurate manner.
● Work with Mercy Corps Northwest program teams to develop project budgets and to accurately track their project costs.
● Plan and monitor cash flow requirements to ensure the smooth implementation of Mercy Corps Northwest programs.
● Ensure effective, transparent use of financial resources in compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures.
● Develop annual fiscal year budgets with the Executive and Deputy Directors and develop and implement grant budgeting and forecasting systems with Program Managers.
● Ensure full and proper implementation of Mercy Corps systems of management, compliance and control as described in Mercy Corps field manuals.
● Mitigate fraud, conflict of interest and negative legal ramifications within Mercy Corps activities.
Operations – Compliance
● Ensure timely, accurate processing and documentation of procurement and use of Mercy Corps’ Electronic Procurement System; chair tender openings as required.
● Ensure that Mercy Corps contracts and business transactions/relationships are transparent and in compliance with the law and Mercy Corps/donor policies.
● Advise Program Managers on feasibility of projects in compliance with Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
The Finance & Operations Officer must be willing to travel periodically to Mercy Corps Northwest satellite locations — Seattle and Walla Walla.
Your Success Factors
● Flexibility, innovation and solutions focus, resilience
● Ability to foster positive relationships, empower others, honor all people with respect and dignity, and maintain grace under pressure
● Awareness of personal strengths and opportunities for growth and development, and the ability to embrace and leverage both
● Collaboration, support, clear and open communication
● Strong cultural competence with demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse team members and stakeholders in sensitive environments
Your Skills & Experience
We will consider any combination of relevant work experience, volunteering, education, and transferable skills* as qualifying for preferred experience.
● Bachelor's degree in finance or accounting (Professional work at or near the level of this position can substitute year for year for the educational requirement)
● Three (3) years of experience that demonstrates accounting skills and experience including management of the general ledger, journal entries, payroll, and balance sheet
● Two (2) years of experience in fund accounting grants management as well as an understanding of USG regulations, preferred
● Experience and skill with budget preparation and analysis, financial reporting preparation and presentation and the proven ability to translate technical financial data into informative reports, strongly preferred
● Proven organizational skills with the ability to effectively multitask and prioritize activities
● Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel and GSuite
● Effective verbal and written communication
● Familiarity with Sernic Navigator accounting system, preferred
● Demonstrated professional standard of finance and procurement ethics, preferred; the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures, required
*Transferable skills: Any skills you have gained through education, volunteer or work or life experience (including the military) that are relevant for this position will be considered. Be sure to describe any transferable skills and how they apply to this position in your cover letter.
Robust Team Member Benefits
Zero-premium health, dental and vision coverage for team member, spouse and dependents
90% subsidized annual TriMet pass
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our stakeholders and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Complete details: http://app.jobvite.com/m?34YZZlwQ