Event: Urban League of Portland Canvassing Day – October 23rd
Date: October 23, 2022
Start Time: 1:00 pm
End Time: 4:00 pm
Location: Urban League of Portland East Office
Address: 129 NE 102nd Ave Suite C Portland, Oregon 97220
The Urban League of Portland is partnering with Portland United for Change to engage in door-to-door canvassing to generate support for the proposed City of Portland – Charter Reforms through Measure 26-228 on October 23rd from 1 to 4 pm.
We’re looking for volunteers to engage in canvassing the neighborhood near the Urban League of Portland’s East County office. This will include door-knocking, reading a script, and sharing literature for Measure 26-228. Through canvassing we will spread the word for Measure 26-228 and gauge the community’s support for the proposed Charter Reforms on this November’s ballot.
Please RSVP for the event!
Currently, the Portland City Council includes one Mayor and four Commissioners elected citywide. The Council makes laws while the Mayor and Commissioners individually manage city bureaus, and voters elect one candidate per office in citywide primary elections with runoff elections if necessary. The City of Portland’s Charter Commission worked to get these changes on the November ballot. If Measure 26-228 is approved, here are some of the changes that will take place:
- Create a City Administrator position to manage Bureaus
- Increase the number of City Council members to 3 per district
- Implement Ranked Choice Voting
Here’s everything you need to know about canvassing:
- Canvassing will occur on October 23rd from 1:00 pm to 4:30 pm
- On-site training will be provided to participants Lunch and refreshments will be provided
- You will canvas and door-knock through the North Portland neighborhoods Reading a pre-drafted script and sharing literature for Measure 26-228
- Individuals 14 and older can participate and are also eligible to receive the $100 gift card
- Youth under 16 years old must have a parent or guardian accompanying them
- Volunteers must find their own transportation before and after the event
ULPDX’s Fare Relief Program – Trimet HOP Card:
Please email us at email@example.com if you would like more information
Volunteers will be provided a $100 gift card (within 6 to 8 weeks of the event)
ULPDX Staff please speak with your manager about participating
Volunteers who signed up for the first session on October 15th may also sign up for our second session on October 23rd and can receive another $100 gift card if they do
Please register as we will limit participation to 30 and anyone beyond that will be placed on a waitlist. We will confirm participation 24-48 hours beforehand. Please share with your friends, family, colleagues, and networks. Voting is not an every-four-year event. Every year there are local elections and they’re just as important as our presidential and other federal elections. The deadline to register to vote is October 18th. Democracy only works when people vote, so get registered if you aren’t and vote! Please visit the Oregon Secretary of State’s Voting and Elections website if you need to register to vote or resources.
Urban League of Portland phone: 503.280.2600 | fax: 503.281.2612 10 N Russell St | Portland, OR | 97227