Title: Board Member
Start Date: August 17, 2023
Organization: Rose Haven
Community, Support, and Love for our Portland Neighbors experiencing Homelessness and Poverty
Rose Haven’s governing Board of Directors is seeking new members who are passionate about our mission and reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. This is an initial 3-year term from January 8th 2024-27. Recruitment will be live until October.
For over 25 years we have been the only day shelter and community center specifically serving women, children, and gender-diverse people in Portland. With Portland’s new daytime camping ban and night shelters at capacity, our services are more critical than ever. For many, we are the first step in asking for help and starting to heal. We envision a community where everyone has safety, stability, love, health, and home.
We realize this vision through our mission to provide day shelter, resources, emotional support, and community connections to women, children, and marginalized genders experiencing homelessness and poverty.
Who we serve: Rose Haven serves more than 3,000 guests annually who are on the spectrum of poverty. While some are experiencing homelessness, others are housed with minimal resources to support themselves or their children. Many have experienced domestic violence, addiction, and mental health challenges. Representation in our community consists of 12% African American, 2% Asian or Pacific Islander, 51% Caucasian, 5% Hispanic, 8% Multi-racial, 6% Native American, 16% Other. Approximately 15% identify as LGBTQIA+.
How you will make contributions that matter: As a board member, your perspective as someone having shared identities and lived experience with our guests will be vital. You will help the board make inclusive decisions that promote equity and belonging. Your insights will inform decisions related to Rose Haven’s policies, programs, finances, and public relations.
What this will look like in practice:
- Board Meetings: Active participation in regular board meetings and one or more board committees each year.
- Embrace our Mission: Share the Rose Haven story within your communities as an ambassador and active advocate, identifying connections that can benefit the agency.
- Direct Support: Commit to supporting our work through donor outreach, attending Rose Haven fundraising/friendraising events, and a personal donation.
- Know our Work, Know our Guests: Understand and work to further our strategic plan, programs, and needs. Visit during shelter hours at least once per year.
You are best suited to be a Rose Haven board member if:
- You have a passion for our mission and to see our strategic plan become a reality.
- Your identities and lived experience reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
- You have awareness of your own privilege and an interest in continuing to learn what this means in our community.
- You are committed to working with the board of directors to promote and include diversity, equity, and inclusion in everything that we do.
- You conduct yourself with fairness and open-mindedness with all discussions, meetings, and communications.
- You have excellent communication and collaboration skills.
Experience in one or more of the following areas is appreciated, but not required: Government contracting or public policy, Public and media relations, Healthcare, including mental health.
If you would like to make a real impact in the community we serve, we would like to hear from you! Please fill out the form below: