Title: Board of Directors
Start Date: August 23, 2022
Organization: Q Center
The Q Center is actively recruiting new members for our Board of Directors! The Q Center is committed to forming and maintaining a leadership team that reflects the diversity of Portland’s LGBTQ2SIA+ community, and one that is committed to the success and sustainability of the organization.
We welcome and strongly encourage applications from QTBIPOC community members. This is an unpaid position with fiduciary responsibilities, you can expect a commitment of 4-10 hours per month and we ask for new members to commit to a two year term. At this time, it is a legal requirement for all board members to be over 18. As the largest LGBTQ+ community center in the Pacific Northwest, Q Center proudly serves the LGBTQ2SIA+ communities of Portland Metro and Southwest Washington. Our drop-in and event space on North Mississippi Avenue is a frequent first stop for new arrivals in Portland, and for longtime residents who are newly out or questioning their sexual or gender identity. Q Center also serves as an information hub for friends, partners, community, and family members of LGBTQ2SIA+ individuals. We pride ourselves on our collaborative approach and seek out ways to share resources with other nonprofits and public institutions locally and statewide.
Our Mission: To provide safe spaces, community building, and empowerment for the positive transformation of LGBTQ2SIA+ communities and allies in the Pacific Northwest. Board Member Requirements The Board of Directors seeks diverse applicants who bring a range of skills, experience and community representation to Q Center leadership.
Ideal candidates will meet some or all of the following expectations:
● Able to consistently attend monthly Board of Directors governance meetings (held monthly on the last Tuesday of the month from 6:30-8:30 pm) plus ad hoc retreats, as well as serving on one board committee. (Required)
● Maintain active engagement in board governance and decision making via in-person, virtual, or email interactions (Required)
● Personal qualities of curiosity, integrity, deep listening, honesty, credibility and passion for improving the community Q Center aims to serve
● Previous experience with nonprofit governance, financial management, development, strategic planning, and direct services.
● Identify as LGBTQ2SIA+ or have a history of active allyship with these communities
● Commitment to teamwork, collaboration, and coalition building
● Previous experience, knowledge of, and/or openness and interest in social justice issues, systems of power that affect these issues, and equity, diversity and inclusion
● Ability and willingness to solicit donations or make meaningful personal donations
We are especially interested in candidates with knowledge of or strong interest in:
● Nonprofit financial management and financial statements
● Board governance, such as policies and procedures, bylaws, legal responsibilities, and similar
● Fundraising through events, major donors, or monthly donors
● Union Negotiations or Union workplace environments
To Apply: Fill out the application (attached here) and email to Ian@pdxqcenter.org and Jim@pdxqcenter.org.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Jim or Rachel (Rachel@pdxqcenter.org).
Non-Discrimination Policy Q Center does not discriminate against any person on the basis of class, income, or financial ability; employment status or type of employment; race; ethnicity, color, or national origin; religious background, creed, or affiliation (or lack thereof); gender, gender expression or gender identity; sex; sexual orientation or sexual identity; age; height or weight; immigration status; past, present, or future disability or condition, including physical (e.g., HIV/AIDS, auditory abilities, physical abilities), intellectual (e.g., learning and thinking abilities), or psychiatric (e.g., PTSD, anxiety, and mood disorders); genetic information; veteran or military status; relationship (marital or partnership) status; genetic material; or any other protected status in accordance with federal, state, or local laws.
BoardMember Application: https://forms.gle/n2frCCGZmZ61JfQu9